Top 6 Things to Do in the Area
25th May 2023
*Impossible to limit to just 5!
- Visit historic Glamis Castle, the ancestral home of the late H.M. Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, and the ancestral home of King Charles III. Open to the public from March to December, it has a super restaurant. While you’re in Glamis, don’t forget to visit the Gin Bothy! Local producers of amazing gin, their Gunshot Spiced Gin is our favourite. It’s also worth travelling the couple of miles from Kinclune to Balintore to catch a glimpse of A-listed Balintore Castle.
- Explore our three lovely lochs: Lintrathen Reservoir; RSPB Kinnordy Nature Reserve and Backwater Reservoir. Backwater Reservoir is best for paddle boarding and wild swimming and is frequented by the Angus Blue Tits swimming group. You can drive over the dam itself and will find parking and a picnic area towards the top of the loch. In spring and summer, look out for our resident osprey fishing the lochs! Lintrathen has an excellent bird hide, lovely walks and is also a fishing loch. It’s by the picturesque hamlet of Lintrathen and has the fab Wee Bear Café.
- Get to know the locals in Kirrie or Forfar. We are part of the amazing community group, Sustainable Kirriemuir, a facebook group organising fantastic events from time to time focusing on how to preserve and protect our local environment and our planet. Kirrie is served by a super wee sustainable food shop, The Longer Table. Don’t miss JM Barrie’s house and Camera Obscura and we recommend the sweet shop and toy shop. Kirrie and Forfar have a got a good selection of pubs serving food and drink. As Angus is a farming region and a farming community, for up-close farm petting experiences for kids we recommend Newton Farm and Murton Farm.
- Head to the Glens! Even if you’re not a walker or cyclist, the scenery is stunning by car. Glen Clova is stunning in every season and you can enjoy lunch or dinner in the lovely Glen Clova Hotel or visit Rottal Estate which hosts public events periodically. You can also buy sustainable, local veg from Rottal Vegetable Garden.
- Visit Reekie Lin Waterfall and nearby Peel Farm Tea Shop and Farm Shop nearby too. Peel Farm offers farm produce, gifts and antiques and artwork.
- Lunan Bay Beach is two miles of stunning sandy beach. Swimmable in summer for the adventurous, but ideal for most for walking, dipping your toes in or letting the dogs and kids run and play. Look out for Lunan Bay Farm and their Goats in Coats as well!